Monday 3 December 2012

Glossary of Correct Usage


1. accept, except. Accept is a verb : except is a preposition
They accepted my invitation.
Everyone attended the meeting except the secretary.

2. advice, advise. Advice is a noun; advise is a verb.
His advice was useful.
I was advised to purchase a more economical car.

3. affect, effect. Affect is a verb; it means " to influence." Effect may be a verb or a noun. The verb effect means " to cause to happen "; the noun effect means " the result."
Pollution affects everyone.
Your tears do not affect me.
Your tears have no effect upon me.
Doctors have effected a cure for polio.
The effect of drugs is well known.

4.
almost, most. Most is used to form the superlative; it is used to modify nouns. Almost is an adverb.
Most people are honest.
He is the most unusual person I have ever met.
Almost everyone has a desire to succeed.
Almost all of the food was eaten.

5.
already, all ready. Already means " before the time specified. " All ready means " completely prepared."
The movie had already begun by the time we arrived.
The members were all ready to hear the report.

6.
altogether, all together. Altogether means " thoroughly." All together means " in a group."
The thought of a third world war is altogether frightening.
The children were all together on the bus.

7.
amount, number. Use amount to refer to thing sin bulk or mass; number refers to the countable.
Wrong :
I was amazed by the amount of people present.
Right :
I was amazed by the number of people present.
Right :
The amount of money needed was soon collect.
8.
and which, which
Wrong : I found a lost dog and which needs a good home.
Right : I found a lost dog which needs a good home.
Wrong : My father is a good man and whom we all love deeply.
Right : My father is a good man whom we all love deeply and whom we admire.
9,
anywheres, anywhere Anywheres is very informal
Wrong :
We can talk anywheres.
Right :
We can talk anywhere.
10. around
Wrong : He arrived around ten o'clock.
Right : He arrived about ten o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment